Home > Service and Information > Q&A > Worker

[Q] E9 visa maternity leave

Hello. Im asking about my situation. Im e9 visa holder and currently working here in south korea. Im 2 months pregnant. And i told to my company that im pregnant. But my company wants to terminate may contract and leave korea in about 1 month. Is there possibility to terminate my contract? Can i have a maternity leave here in korea. Thank you

By Melissa Ladiao | 2020-01-13


1. Hello, this is Ministry of Employment and Labor Counseling Center.


2. According to Article 11(1) of the Equal Employment Opportunity and Work-Family Balance Assistance Act, no employer shall discriminate on grounds of gender in age limit, retirement, and dismissal of his/her employees.


- An employer shall grant a pregnant woman a total of a 90-day maternity leave (120-day maternity leave, if she is pregnant with at least two children at a time) before and after childbirth pursuant to Article 74 of the Labor Standards Act.


3. In case of all business or workplaces in which not less than five employees are regularly employed, if you have been dismissed due to your pregnancy without any other justifiable reason, you may apply for remedy for unfair dismissal etc. from a labor relations commission having the jurisdiction over the workplace within three months from the date of the unfair dismissal etc.


How to apply for remedy for unfair dismissal etc:

Minwon24 website : ( and please go to 인터넷민원신청

부당해고구제신청 <Korean version> ;

You may visit a regional labor relations commission, or you may apply for it

by fax.


4. For more information in regard to the termination of an employment contract under the Employment Permit System, you need to contact a regional job center which has the jurisdiction over the workplace.


5. If you have any questions, please call Ministry of Employment and Labor Counseling Center on 1350 (press 4 and 1 for English). Thank you.



By e-mail to | 052-702-5170
Back to top