Home > Service and Information > Q&A > Worker

[Q] unemployment benefit

Hi, good morning

I am currently on E3 visa with 4 stock insurance. how can i get benefited when i am unemployed?. previously i was unemployed for 8 months(D10) after working for 1.9 years on E3 visa.

so when I am unemployed how can i get benefited by unemployment insurance, please let me know.

By Kakarla ramesh | 2019-07-15


1. Hello, this is Ministry of Employment and Labor Counseling Center.


2. We understand that you have enquired regarding “unemployment benefits”, and please refer to the following reply.

  A. Unemployment benefits

    ○ The purpose of unemployment benefits of employment insurance is to stabilize the livelihood of workers those who covered employment insurance and promote their job-seeking activities by granting necessary benefits during the period of their reemployment activities, when they are out of work, and during the job-seeking period, and unemployment benefits shall be classified into job-seeking benefits and employment promotion allowances.

    ○ Unemployment benefits do not mean the compensation benefit, or the money for which employment insurance premiums have been paid. Unemployment benefits shall be paid to an unemployed person who actively seeking reemployment during unemployed period by causing an accident of unemployment. 

       - Please be noted that job-seeking benefits which is one of the unemployment benefits shall provided for not more than the number of benefit days, within 12 months from the day following the date of separation.

    ○ Therefore, a person who intends to be paid job-seeking benefits shall appear at an Employment Security Office immediately after separation and report his/her unemployment and he/she shall be actively seeking reemployment.


  B. Regarding “job-seeking benefits”

    ○ Job-seeking benefits shall be paid if an insured person who has been separated from his/her job meets all of the following requirements:

        ➀ The unit period of insurance during the 18-month period (base period) prior to the date of separation shall be not less than 180 days in total;

        ➁ Despite his/her willingness and ability to work, he/she shall be out of employment;

        ➂ Involuntary separation due to inevitable reason;

        ➃ He/she shall be actively seeking reemployment during the recognition of unemployment.

   ○ You may contact the competent job center having jurisdiction over your residential area with regards to your employment insurance status, eligibility for unemployment benefits, and unemployment benefits matters etc.


3. For further inquiries with regards to labor-related laws, please contact Ministry of Employment and Labor Counseling Center at 1350 (press 4 and 1 for English).   Thank you.


By e-mail to | 052-702-5170
Back to top